Apply to be a part of the Downtown Las Cruces Partnership & Las Cruces Arts and Cultural District Artist in Residence Program! Application Below.
deadline: October 8, 2020.
The Artists in Residence program is a series of events for six individual artists which culminates in a collective show to be held in June 2021 hosted by Downtown Las Cruces Partnership (DLCP) and the Las Cruces Arts and Cultural District Coordinating Council (LCACD). The committee for the program is a subcommittee of LCACD with representation from Doña Ana Arts Council, the City of Las Cruces, and DLCP.
Unlike a traditional artist in residence program which brings an artist to a place or space to create, the Artists in Residence program is designed to showcase and celebrate the artists already creating in our district. Through an open call and selection process, DLCP and the ACDCC will promote six artists who live and/or work in the Las Cruces Arts and Cultural district ( map found on page 18 of ACD Plan). This pilot program will highlight the makers, creators, and artists who draw inspiration from the unique history, culture, and atmosphere of the original town site. Artists and makers working in all genres and mediums including but not limited culinary, fine art, literary arts, music, and textile arts will be encouraged to apply. Through the program, DLCP/ACD will host an in-person or virtual (dependent on public health orders) event for each artist on a First Friday as well as have a featured spotlight on the artist and his or her art published in the Bulletin. At the end of the season, DLCP/ACD will collaborative show, featuring all six artists. Individual promotional events will be assigned once a month from December 2020 to May 2021. Most individual events will correspond with First Friday Art Walks. Event times and location will depend on the medium and current work and/or retail space of the artist. Events will be held in person or virtually depending on current public health orders. The collaborative event will be held on Friday, June 4, 2021.
Submitting artists must:
- be 18-years of age or older;
- create or reside in the Las Cruces Arts and Cultural district;
- have content of original work which is not subject to outside copyright or licensing;
- draw inspiration from the people, culture, and atmosphere of the Arts and Cultural district;
- make oneself available for newspaper interview and attend the individual promotional event at designated day/time and attend collaborative event to be held Friday, June 4, 2021 at 5PM;
To be considered, submissions must include:
- three electronic examples of original work. Files must be openable through Adobe Acrobat or Windows programs;
- Each file should be named with your first initial, last name, and example number ( example: JSmith1.jpeg, JSmith2.jpeg )
- completion and submission of application;
The following optional information may be included:
- up-to 250 word personal narrative about your work and how you draw inspiration from the Arts and Cultural District
- up to 100 word narrative about each submitted piece
Forms will be completed and submitted through the link. Examples of artwork should be submitted to [email protected] The deadline for applications and emailed submission of work is 11:59PM, Thursday, October 8, 2020.
Because Artists in Residence is a community art project, submitted work must meet the following restrictions:
- content must be appropriate for publication on social and traditional media such as Facebook, Instagram, newspaper and radio
- If work is collaborative, all participating artists must give written consent to have work submitted for consideration
Selection Process and Notification
All qualifying submitted works will be considered by a jury made up of Arts and Cultural District subcommittee members. A scoring system will be used to evaluate the submissions on the following criteria:
- Artistic quality;
- Diversity of medium;
- Creative connection to the Las Cruces Arts and Cultural District;
All artists who submit work for consideration will be notified of the jury decision on Thursday, October 22, 2020.
Please contact Susan Greenwald at 575.525.1955 or [email protected]
All decisions of the jury are final.